Thursday, February 18, 2016

THE WORDS WE SAY ARE POWERFUL?

Dear Grandkids,
Here's another thing I need to tell you about so that you can maybe save yourselves a lot of grief. No one taught me this when I was a child. If I had only known how powerful spoken words were back then my life would have been so much better. Some of the things that came out of my mouth were disgusting and vulgar and so shameful I would like to forget I actually said those things and the consequence's are still with me today, but I am counteracting all the negative, hurtful, ignorant, and shameful things that came out of my mouth with positive, loving, up building and wise sayings the best I can. Instead of telling someone how ugly, stupid, and dumb they are I try to build that person up with nice words, and if I can't think of anything nice or helpful to say to someone then I won't say anything at all. Another thing kid's, when we think we are hurting someone else with our words we are hurting ourselves even more. Jesus told His followers that it "wasn't what went into our mouths that defiled us, it was what came out of our mouths that defiled us.
   Now, the real power in the words we speak lies in what we tell ourselves. If we say to ourselves things like this, "I can't be good enough to play that game, I'm too small." Or something like this, "No one likes me, I'm ugly, I'm stupid, I suck, I will never be loved, I'm bad because I made this mistake and now everyone hates me." Or, "The person I want to be my friend won't like me." Or, "The girl at school I like will never like me." I can think of all kinds of stupid, untrue things I used to say about myself that came true after I said them long enough  because those words were powerful and I fell into the very things I said because my mind with those words took me in that direction. I started believing all those words were true and so that's how I became, which caused me much grief, depression, disappointment, anger, and frustration and all those feelings made me even worse. I believed I was dumb, ugly, unlovable, stupid, weak, and would never be loved, always poor, always lacking, never having what I wanted and never being the kind of person who was loved and respected. The kind of person who was looked up to and admired for being polite, respectful, thoughtful, generous, kind, trustworthy, and friendly.
Because of what I was told about myself, the words my dad spoke to me, and the words I spoke to myself in my mind, and out loud, that was who I became. I was one of the bad kids, the kid that cussed, smoked, bullied, was disrespectful, selfish, without manners, hurtful to others, negative about almost everything, so that's how my life was for many years. If only I would have had someone to show me the error of my ways, the 'words' I spoke to others and to myself were so important. That's why I'm letting you know now that you should be careful about what you say to your self and others because, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat it's fruit." Proverbs 18:21  (N.K.J.V.) and, "The fools lips bring him strife, and his mouth invites a beating." Proverbs 18:6 (N.I.V.) and "Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue."  Proverbs 17:28 (N.I.V.)
We all need to take these words to heart and be careful of what we say, even  now I have to think about what I'm saying and be careful not to put my "foot in my mouth" so to speak, and sometimes I still say things I need to apologize for. What I hope to teach you with this letter is to just be aware of how powerful the words you speak and think are. Here's how you should use your words, "I am smart, I am strong, I am lovable, kind, generous, helpful, friendly, funny, honest, trustworthy. People like me, I am a good friend. I am beautiful, handsome, talented, skillful, thoughtful, godly, and funny. I am well provided for by God. God heals me, helps me, protects me and loves me. I am a giver. Read and listen to God's Word to get rid of the negative words the 'world' teaches. And remember, "For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."  Hebrews 4:12  (N.I.V.)
So, say the words that describe what you want your life to be like and keep on saying those words until it becomes reality even if you don't feel that way or your life is not that way yet it will happen as you say so don't give up but keep on using your words wisely and you will save yourself much grief. This also takes practice.... Love Grandpap

SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY

"He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin." Proverbs 13:3 (N.I.V.)
"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18 (N.I.V.)
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in silver settings." Proverbs 25:11  (N.I.V.)

PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father God, in Jesus name we pray that You help us to control our tongues and to think about what we say and help us to always speak good words about ourselves and others. Let us use words to help us live better lives and to be a blessing to others. Help us to build each other up and not tear each other down with our words. And thank You especially for Your Word which gives us life and health and power. In the name of Jesus, Yeshua, we pray for the peace of Jerusalem, according to Your Word, make it so... Amen

    

No comments:

Post a Comment